Saturday, March 10, 2012

In the Eyes of a Zombie Virus Carrier

What is your favorite part of your body and why?




Those are mine. They can't see worth a darn and I have retina holes that cause a disc like image to go across my vision on occasion, much like a solar eclipse. So, if I ever yell out, "Solar eclipse!" don't look at the sun. 


I can't wear contacts either, my eyes are too dry. And, it doesn't really matter because they don't make a contact with a prescription strong enough, not to mention I'm allergic to most of the contact solutions. 


But these are my eyes and I really like them. Like the Mola mola, bat, jellyfish, and legless amphibians, they're different and beautiful and occasionally creepy. You should have seen the picture before I cropped it. I looked like a psycho. 


The interesting thing about this picture, is that it's the first time I have been able to see my eyes up close. I had no idea that the left eye had any brown in it at all. I am discovering all kinds of new things at the age of 32. I think it's my age of discovery.


Believe it or not, most people don't notice that my eyes are two different colors, even when I did wear contacts. Even my husband didn't know until we had been married for a couple of years. I'm not sure how the topic came up. I think it started as a joke. Anyway, one night, in bed, in the dark, I asked him, "What color are my eyes?" And he didn't know. Well, we didn't snuggle that night, let me tell you.


The next day, he checked my driver's license. My eye color is listed as blue. So, he came in, all pleased with himself, and announced that I had blue eyes. How in the world do you date someone and marry someone without being aware that they have sectoral heterochromia? That's a fancy way of saying I have blue eyes with sections of brown. He knows my eye color now. He also knows my favorite color, favorite chocolate, birthday, social security, and how I like my coffee. 


When people do notice that I have sectoral heterochromia, their initial reaction is to get right up in my face, almost nose to nose, and ask me if my eyes are two different colors. I have never punched anyone for this, but I won't deny the desire. Then, they tell me about how they saw/had/have a dog with eyes just like that and the dog's name is usually Psycho. 


Besides the fact sectoral heterochromia is rare and just looks awesome, according to the zombie flick 28 Weeks Later, if I should catch the zombie virus, I would be asymptomatic. That's a fancy way of saying I would be a carrier but would exhibit none of the symptoms of the disease. Heck, as far as you know, I could already be infected and that's why I call myself "The Zombie Mom." 



1 comment:

  1. Eyes are the best! They are the window to the soul. Eyes tell you what a person is thinking or feeling. Unless they're a psycho/sociopath, then well you're screwed.

    ReplyDelete