Monday, April 16, 2012

My Buddy and Me: A Modest Memorial to Lewis Nordan


I found out on Saturday that a mentor at the University I attend passed away. I waited all weekend for an obit. For an update on his wikipedia page besides the day he died. Anything, really. Nothing. I got a private message from a friend and the director of the creative writing program sent out an email. That's it. No memories, no list of accomplishments, no reason for death, nothing. So, I figure it's my duty to introduce you to Lewis "Buddy" Nordan. You can purchase his books here

Buddy was in bad health the last time I saw him. I never got a chance to mentor under him for a semester, but I got to know him and his wife, Alicia. We talked a lot about dogs and their love for rescued greyhounds. Buddy had a wicked since of humor and wasn't afraid to surprise you in a story. He had a sincere, wide smile and steely determination. I remember him reading to the students of the Creative Writing program in a clear and textured voice, perfectly capturing a narrator that has gone too far. He read brilliantly even though it was hard for him to stand, hard for him to handle the pages, and it just plain wore him out. With all my health issues, I hope I can maintain the dignity Buddy did. 

We had a few adventures, Buddy and I. We got lost trying to get to the school cafeteria because he was in a wheelchair, the cafeteria wasn't on the ground floor, and the elevator didn't exactly take you were you thought you were going. I'd fetch his lunch if he let me. I think he felt a little more comfortable with me because I'm disabled too, but I don't think he understood why I really wanted to get his lunch. I just wanted to listen to him. I might have been just another face, just another student to him, I don't know. It doesn't really matter. He made an impression on me. And even though you can't meet him in person, I hope you'll get to know this creative, funny, brave and amazing man through his books.  RIP, Buddy. Thanks so much for the memories. 

Edit: The New York Times released this article today about Buddy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment