Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Guilt, Punishment, and Death

My cousin's funeral is tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll make it. It's a two hour drive and I'm still feeling pretty lethargic from the surgery. I would really like to be there. Junior came to see my mom when she was dying in the hospital. That meant a lot to me. I remember him on a tractor at my Uncle Pope's house cutting the hay. What I remember is that he was always where you needed him to be, when you needed him to be there, even though he had his own health issues going on. You have to respect and admire somebody like that. The bees that stung him have been destroyed. The woman that crashed into the ambulance that might have killed Junior has not had any charges brought against her. I think the charges are pending on the autopsy report. Nobody knows yet if it was the bees or the automobile accident. Two freak accidents, one man. Seriously. What stars were lined up that day?

I can't say I'm angry at the bees or the woman. Bees are bees. There's not much you can do about that. And that woman has to live with this accident for the rest of her life. I'd like to think she's a normal, nice, every day woman who did something stupid, made the wrong judgement call, wasn't paying attention, I don't know. It could be her fault he's dead. But, even if it was the bee stings, I imagine the guilt of hitting an ambulance is still going to be painful to live with. I would like to think so. Not to bring vengeance against her, but because, again, I want to believe she's a decent woman and a decent woman would be haunted by something like that. Of course, what she did was against the law, and she needs to be punished for that too. But I think that punishment will be small compared to the guilt. What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. I tend to go with that even if the bee stung him and it was the bee sting that did it, would he have survived if the wreck had not happened and he made it to the hospital alot quicker would he have pulled through. Either way, the woman will have to live with her guilt (and hopefully a penality even if it is failure to yield the right of way to emergency vehicle ticket).Which sucks because everyone who loved him has to deal with the loss and heartache. Either way, I'm sorry you lost your cousin and will pray for a safe and painless trip.

    ReplyDelete