Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Detail Orientated Natural Leader Seeks Man Who Can Fold Towels...Correctly

13. Describe 5 weaknesses you have.


Do you remember when you first started filling out applications for your first job and somebody gave you the advice, "Write your weaknesses as your strengths?" So, if you had trouble switching from one task to another, you wrote down that you were detail oriented. Or, if you were messy, you wrote: works well in chaotic environment. I still do this in my head. I'm not a control freak, I'm a natural leader! So, to focus my mind on the task, I decided to look up the definition of weakness. www.dictionary.com defines weakness as:

noun
1.
the state or quality of being weak lack of strength,firmness, vigor, or the like; feebleness.
2.
an inadequate or defective quality, as in a person'scharacter; slight fault or defect: to show great sympathy forhuman weaknesses.
3.
a self-indulgent liking or special fondness, as for aparticular thing: I've always had a weakness for the opera.
4.
an object of special desire; something very difficult toresist: Chocolates were her weakness.




I decided that my first four weaknesses will be based numerically on the four definitions. So...


1. This is easy. I have arthritis throughout my body, from my neck, all through my spine, in my hips and in my knees. I am in pain daily and when I get flair ups, I can barely do anything. Sometimes I can barely feel my limbs. I have trouble backing out my car because I cannot turn my neck enough to look over my shoulder. Friends can testify to this because I have hit their parked cars. I also have hypoglycemia. When my sugar drops, I become an idiot and run the risk of fainting. This can be comical or scary, depending on the situation. If I say I have to eat, I REALLY have to eat.

2. When I was Vice President of a college club, I often scolded the other members for not doing their jobs. The other officers got so irritated with me, and I at them, that I decided to leave the club immediately. Our sponsor, a professor, called an emergency meeting. She explained that I didn't ask anything of the officers that I didn't expect of myself. And, yes, I was hard on them, but I was harder on myself. This was very enlightening to me. At that time, I wasn't aware of this trait. I learned to ease up on myself and others...some.



3. I have a special fondness for the Bible. I do not consider myself a Christian. In fact, if confronted by a Christian concerned for my soul, there is a good chance I won't be nice. I do have many Christian friends, and I respect their faith and they don't try to convert me, so we get along swimmingly. But, I have always loved the Bible. Many of my Bibles have notes in the margins. The notes could be questions, observations, a link to another scripture else where, whether I agree or disagree, and even how that scripture related to whatever was going on in my life at the time. To me, my Bibles feel like diaries. I have read the Bible several times, but haven't in a long time. Too long, really. 

This is my third Bible. My first is put away in a keepsake box and my second Bible fell apart from  use.
This is the inside of my third Bible. As you can see, I made it mine. This was a birthday present to myself when I was 15. 

4. Chocolate. I know it's the example in the definition. I know it's cliche. I know that just about every woman in the United States could and probably would say the same. But it's true. I love chocolate. I'm a chocolate connoisseur. I prefer 72% dark chocolate. If you blindfold me and put chocolate in my mouth (I'm paranoid, so this will never happen), I will be able to tell you if it's milk chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate. If it's dark chocolate, I can get pretty darn accurate about telling you the percentage of dark chocolate. I know cheap chocolate and I know GOOD chocolate. My current favorite is made by Dagoba. Give them a try! 

5. I'm a perfectionist. Nobody can do what I do better than I can. When my husband folds the towels, I go in behind him and refold them. If my daughter dusts, I go in behind her and dust again. When I worked at the bookstore, I would go in behind someone helping in my section and straighten the shelves. It's hard for me to settle for "good enough." When I settle for "good enough," you must understand that part of my soul has just died. RIP, piece of soul. 



No comments:

Post a Comment